The Hotel Nacional de Cuba was inaugurated on the night of December 30, 1930 and was built on the land that formed part of the area that in the first colonial centuries was called Monte Vedado. In this same place, the Santa Clara Battery was located, which was part of the defense system of Havana against attacks by corsairs and pirates. Two large cannons were located in this battery, one of which (the Ordoñez), was the largest cannon in the world at the end of the 19th century and is still located in our gardens. These pieces were declared jointly with the Historic Quarter of the City in 1982, a World Heritage Site.
The construction was completed in 14 months and the project was carried out by the North American Cabinet of Architects McKim, Mead and White and its execution by the Purdy and Henderson Construction Company. Its architecture is eclectic in style, with elements of the "Art Deco" style as well as "Mudejar Art".
Its history accompanies the history of Cuba and the city, from the great events such as the Latin American Film Festivals and the great White Dinner of 2019, to its connection with historical events such as the 1933 cannonade and the Missile Crisis in 1962.
In February 1990, the hotel closed its doors to undergo a deep remodeling work, with the aim of recovering the original decoration and reopened in May 1992. On June 13, 1998, the Hotel was awarded the status as a National Monument.
Some celebrities who have been illustrious guests of the Hotel Nacional de Cuba are Johnny Weissmuller, Buster Keaton, Winston Churchill, Fred Astaire, Jorge Negrete, Maria Félix, the Dukes of Windsor, Marlon Brando, Errol Flynn, Ava Gardner, Alejo Carpentier, Gabriel García Márquez and more recently Danielle Miterrand, Harry Belafonte, former Queen Soraya, Mohamed Ali, Michael Kennedy, Heads of State of Latin American countries and the rest of the world and many others.
The Hotel Nacional de Cuba has obtained the World Travel Awards on more than 10 occasions as the Leader Hotel of Cuba, it has been a UNESCO Memory of the World since 2010 and remains until today a desired and desired place for prominent and famous guests, whose stay becomes part of its history.